On Monday at our ladies meeting we were talking about blessings and the obvious one was from Numbers:
Numbers 6:24-26 – ‘“‘The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face towards you and give you peace.’”
Matt Redman has a song, Benediction, which is based on this verse and I used it a lot in my prayers for my Dad when I first became a Christian. My Dad turned away from church a long time ago and at that stage I didn’t really know how to pray for him so I used to pray this verse over him. Praise God my Dad has now come back to faith and is walking with the Lord again.
There are a lot of references to God’s blessings in the Bible and I have highlighted just a few below. Enough to show me that God wants the best for us and to get the best we need to trust, him, be obedient to him and desire him above all other things, turning away from those who would stand in our way.
- Jeremiah 17:7-8 – But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit
- Psalm 20:4 – May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed
- Psalm 34:8 – Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him
- Psalm 119:2 – Blessed are those who keep his statutes and seek him with all their heart
- Matthew 5:6 – Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled
- Psalm 1:1- Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers
May the Lord bless me, may the Lord see how I trust in his amazing grace, may he turn his face towards me, let me be like the tree planted by his stream of living water, let my roots grow deep, my leaves forever green, let me bear much fruit, may I keep his statutes and seek him earnestly with all my heart, may his word never depart from me, may I never seek the company of those who mock or scorn, may I never mourn without his comfort, may I never fear, let me sit in the shelter of his wings as I take refuge from each storm, may he provide warmth and safety, may all his plans for me succeed, may my heart’s desire be based on higher things, may my songs of praise ring out for all my days, bless me oh Lord along my way, make your face to shine upon me, be gracious to me, turn your face towards me and give me peace.