Prayer has been on my mind, praying to God, what’s it all about? It’s not about intellectual words, a list of requests, a religious requirement, a string of words, a labour, something we have to do. To me it’s about seeking God, it’s about spending time with the God we love, it’s about expressing our love, wanting to spend time with God simply because we love him.
Jesus spent hours in prayer whilst on earth, Jesus would often “slip away” to speak to his Father. If prayer was so important to the Son of God how much more important should it be to us? If you are walking with God you will appreciate that you can slip away to Jesus for a moment, any time, any place, you can be immediately with him and immediately receiving his love, wisdom and power.
And that’s great but we also know that prayer must be consistent, we are called to pray without ceasing. As we spend more time with God you will grow in your relationship and when you pray you will pray as someone who knows God.
- Mark 1:35 – Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.
- Luke 5:16 – But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.
- Matthew 14:23 – After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. Later that night, he was there alone,
- Luke 6:12 – One of those days Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray, and spent the night praying to God.
- Matthew 26:36 – Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, ‘Sit here while I go over there and pray.’
- Hebrews 5:7 – During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission.
Make me like Jesus setting time apart to seek your voice, spending time alone to pray and rejoice in your presence, help me set my alarm that little bit earlier so I can pray in peace and quiet, make me confident to seek your presence, wake me in the night so I can seek your light and as I offer up prayers and petitions, help me avoid repetition, may I speak with passion, pouring out my heart with cries and tears as I share my hopes and my fears, as I intercede for those who are unable to speak for themselves, for those who don’t yet know you, whose circumstances are overwhelming, for the prisoner, the sick, the bereaved, for those who have not yet believed in your redeeming love, set me apart, set me above worldly things, fill me oh God for when you’re in it, it flows, dwell in me, fill me with greater manifestations of your power, shower me with boldness and confidence as I come before you to pray, every hour, every day, may I be dedicated to continuous, passionate prayer.