Charlotte Gambill at Cherish challenged those there to “be bold enough to have some friends that will help you face some facts.” I was watching her today and thought, you know what that also works the other way round, be bold enough to help our friends face facts. I don’t think in any way that this has to be harsh or confrontational but as with all our dealing should be done in love and truth. I so want my friends to challenge me if they see me doing something they feel is detrimental to my faith or is something that as a Christian I shouldn’t be doing. I want accountability and I believe God has surrounded me with a friendship group who can help him keep me on track. But am I equipped or bold enough to give that back? I feel I am growing in confidence, growing in my knowledge and understanding of the Bible yet still sometimes feel that as a relatively new Christian I shouldn’t challenge stuff because I’m not as experienced or knowledgeable as others. But I reckon God wants me to get over that issue as we are encouraged to build each other up and correct each other if required.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:11 – Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.
- 2 Timothy 3:16 – All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
- Proverbs 19:20 -Listen to advice and accept instruction, that you may gain wisdom in the future.
- 2 Timothy 4:2 – Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching.
- Galatians 6:1 – Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted.
Encourage me, be bold and challenge me, see, if you don’t tell me who will? If you don’t think my behaviour would please our Saviour then talk to me, Jesus freed me, he’s making me a new creation but that takes time and that takes patience but Jesus can use us to do some of that stuff, and I can’t tell you enough how important it is to me, my accountability, your responsibility, your accountability, my responsibility, you see God’s word clearly teaches that we should reach out to each other in love and compassion so don’t stand back if I need a proverbial slapping, stop slacking, talk to me, restore me to the path God chose for me, encourage me as you would a child as I take my first steps in faith, but even when I’m grey and old be bold if I need correction, you’ll get no objection from me as you gently correct or challenge me, I thank you for speaking to me in love, I thank you for being bothered enough to care, thank you for being there, a friend to help me face the facts, watching my back, helping me to be the best I can, encouraging me to stick to God’s plan.