Knowing the Bible is so important, Jesus himself used it to rebuke Satan and if we are to cope when faced with temptation we really need to know it inside out and upside down. Having started on this Bible reading challenge I admit that there are many parts that I find hard to understand and then a gem jumps out at me and I get why God included it. Of course for me it’s essential that we do believe that the Bible is all of God and transcends time, to understand fully the New Covenant and how that affects how we relate to some of the Old Testament law and that’s a challenge that I am happy to take. As our preacher in church said on Sunday the Old Testament is like a “trailer” for the New Testament and both are essential in our Christian lives.
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17 – All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.
- Psalm 119:105 -Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
- Joshua 1:8 – This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.
- Romans 15:4 – For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.
- Hebrews 12:4 – For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
- 1 Timothy 4:13 – Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching.
Reading the Bible, some parts like a tribal who’s who, there’s the Old and then there’s the New, and who knew there were so many prophets foretelling most of the New Testament, and I lament that I left it so late in life to pick up the Bible and read of God’s love, to read of his immense power, his anger and yet his compassion, his deep understanding of human nature, where we would fall, where we would struggle, the troubles we would bring on ourselves, the times we would turn away after all we had seen him do and heard him say and then I think of today and how many have strayed from his word, who’ve heard but the truth has been blurred by Spiritual blindness, their faith going through a season of dryness as they twist and turn the words to suit their interpretation negating the foundations of our faith, God’s word, God breathed to be a lamp to our feet and a light in the darkness, effective for overcoming temptation, preventing stagnation as we are careful to follow God’s instructions, meditating and above all devoting ourselves to his Word, our double edged sword piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, you’ve got to be in it to get anything out, bind it in your heart so you can shout out at the enemy when he seeks to distract you, respond with God’s word as he tries to tempt you with sin, live in God’s word, build your life around it, be filled with God’s glory and filled with his Spirit.