So continuing my reading the Bible in 90 days I have been reading Deuteronomy over the last couple of days and oh so many verses jumped out at me. But today 2 in particular stood out:
- Deuteronomy 31:20 – When I have brought them into the land flowing with milk and honey, the land I promised on oath to their ancestors, and when they eat their fill and thrive, they will turn to other gods and worship them, rejecting me and breaking my covenant
- Deuteronomy 32:2-4 – Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew, like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants. I will proclaim the name of the LORD. Oh, praise the greatness of our God! He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God
The first one struck me as very apt for Christians in the Western world. I read it like we have our fill of all that is good, that all God provides and become ultra-comfortable and then gradually start to forget God and turn to other things (Idols) or just reject him totally, almost like lapsing in our faith.
The second verse was a wow verse for me, how we should desire wholeheartedly for God’s teaching and words, we should be seeking God in all things, I mean how awesome to have God’s counsel and guidance like abundant rain pouring over us.
- Psalm 67: 6-7 – For the earth has yielded abundant harvests. God, even our own God, will bless us. And peoples from remotest lands will worship him.
- Galatians 6:9 – And let us not get tired of doing what is right, for after a while we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t get discouraged and give up.
- Ecclesiastes 3:1-2 – There is a right time for everything: A time to be born;
A time to die; A time to plant; A time to harvest;
LAND OF MILK AND HONEY
God promises a land flowing with milk and honey, for us that’s like endless money to spend on all the food we love, the abundant harvest that manifests itself on the shelves of all our stores but unfortunately we have succumbed to the culture of more, more, more, three for two, buy one get one free, Chinese takeaway for tea, we want for nothing in this western culture, like vultures we indulge and over buy, our food waste mountain is sky high but you know God’s word is alive and he warns us that when we eat our fill and thrive there is a danger we will turn our backs on him, rejecting his love because we think we have enough, forgetting that what we have is given in love by a gracious God, don’t let your hearts grow hard because of all you have, don’t lose sight of what is right because you want for nothing don’t grow tired of doing and I ask that his teaching will fall like rain, his words descend like dew, that we will be renewed, appreciate all we’ve been given, acknowledge that God our Father is the great giver, the giver of life who just wants us to see what’s right, let’s fight to yield abundant harvests, to reap a harvest of blessing and let’s get a move on cos there’s no time for messing around, lost souls are on the ground, are you too tired to keep going, are you slowing down, has your crown slipped partially blocking the light if so then here’s what I say it’s time to stand up and fight now is the time, the time to plant, the time to sow, the time to go out into the world and proclaim the name of the Lord, to praise the greatness of our God, it’s not so hard unless of course your life is too cushty and you are too comfy in your land of plenty to worry about those who are empty, now is our time God wants to bless us, so fess up, confess and repent, don’t be content with mediocrity you can change history, be the change you long to see.