I love all the references in the Bible to “being clothed” and I saw a comment today which led me to think about being prepared, clothed to face each day and to do God’s will. Not only with the armour of God but with so many other attributes (some verses referenced below). God has given us so much in the way of clothing and armour, he has equipped us perfectly, we just need to choose the right clothing each and every day!
- Isaiah 61:10 – I will rejoice greatly in the LORD, My soul will exult in my God; For He has clothed me with garments of salvation, He has wrapped me with a robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with a garland, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
- Proverbs 31:25 – Strength and dignity are her clothing and she smiles at the future.
- Galatians 3:27 – For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.
- Luke 24:49 – And behold, I am sending forth the promise of My Father upon you; but you are to stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high.”
- Ephesians 4:24 – and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth
WHAT SHALL I WEAR?
Before I clothe myself in my heavenly garments I give my Father all my vulnerability, the sin that clings, the flashes of doubt and worry and I stand exposed before my Lord before removing the sackcloth and ashes, handing the sin back to him and washing myself in the blood of the Lamb, I step boldly into his presence receiving his grace and forgiveness, his direction and instructions for action as I go out into the nations clothed in his armour, today I shall put on a garment of praise in place of a spirit of despair, I will clothe myself in salvation and drape the robe of righteousness around my shoulders, next I will put on the garments of compassion, kindness, humility and patience not forgetting that I am always clothed with the joy of the Lord, robed in his splendour and majesty, covered in his power from on high, clothed with our heavenly dwelling, always remembering that I am a Proverbs 31 woman, clothed in strength and dignity and laughing without fear when I think of eternity.