Was thinking about John 3 and particularly the verse that says “He must become greater and I must become less.” I know that is a big desire for me in my walk, to become more like Jesus every day, to allow his characteristics to fill me and for my old, sinful characteristics and habits to die away. It’s allowing the fruits of the Spirit to fill me and for that to shape the new me. I then got to thinking about putting Jesus first, it then follows that I put myself last. In Matthew it says the last will be first and the first will be last. So in becoming more like Jesus and allowing him to take over I actually will be gaining so much more, through surrendering to God I become a servant and as such I am becoming more like Jesus who was God’s servant on earth too. So in my mind it follows that through putting God first in a roundabout way I am putting myself first, setting myself up to receive more of my heavenly Father’s amazing grace.
- John 3:21- But whoever lives by the truth comes to the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.”
- John 3:27 – “To this John replied, ‘A man can receive only what is given him from heaven.'”
- John 3:30 – “He must become greater; I must become less.”
- Matthew 10:38-39 “and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.”
- Matthew 20:16 – So the last will be first and the first will be last
Jesus > me
You must become greater, I must become less, for he that is in me is greater than he that is in the world, living in truth I draw to your light, living in righteousness I run the race, seeking your grace so that all can see clearly that the way I live is a gift from heaven, I pick up my cross, less of me God more of you, it’s not about me anymore it’s all about your power, I surrender my life so that I can find something more, no longer striving to be first, thirsting for control, if I want to be whole, truly free I need a decrease in me and an increase of you, my God who is great, compassionate and able, who calls me to his banqueting table, I surrender all, I yield to you the Alpha and Omega, first and last, may I seek to be last so that you can be first, unshakeable in my thirst for you, unstoppable in my service for you and shining with your glory as I walk with you.