I was thinking about John 8:32 – “then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free” which is a verse I have heard quoted a few times. That led me to look up this morning what the “then” was referring to and of course, I shouldn’t be surprised it’s all about holding on to God’s teachings. There are so many passages that refer to the importance of knowing the Word and it really emphasises the importance we should place on God’s word in our lives.
- John 8:31-32 – Jesus said, ‘If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. ’
- Joshua 1:8 – This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.
- Matthew 4:4 – But he answered, “It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”
- Romans 15:4 – For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope
- Psalm 119:10-11 – With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments! I have stored up your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
- John 15:7 – If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
ABIDE IN GOD
Abide in God, like live in and with him, immerse yourself in his word, read and learn, understand his commands and how he demands your obedience, after all he gave his life for us and surely that demands some reaction, for us to take some action to understand God’s requirements, to recognise that his commands are as relevant now as they were then, hold on to his teaching and the truth will set you free, you’ll recognise false preaching, wolves in sheep’s clothing, no longer blowing about in the wind tossed and turned because you can’t discern right from wrong, no longer confused, battered and bruised by those who seek to water down the word of the Lord, the Bible, yes that’s your sword, be prepared to use it, to use words to deter the enemy, to counter his attempts to endlessly pick at your weaknesses, cos in your weakness God’s love is perfected, you are protected by the armour of God, his word provided for our instruction, to encourage, to nourish cos man cannot live by bread alone, seek God’s word earnestly and you’ll never be thrown.