We were talking last night about how best to pray for our family members who do not believe in God and this is a real “topical” issue for me and my ears pricked up when someone offered to message us all with a list of verses to be used in prayer and they are pretty awesome verses with guidance on how to use them in your prayer. Just had to share these as they will revolutionise the way I pray for my unsaved family and friends.
- John 16:8 – When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment – Pray that the Holy Spirit would convict them of their own sin, and bring awareness of God’s righteousness and their coming judgment apart from salvation
- Romans 1:18 – The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness – Pray that they wouldn’t ignore the truth.
- Colossians 1:13 – For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves – Ask God to rescue them from the kingdom of darkness and bring them to the kingdom of His Son.
- Acts 26: 16-18 – 6 “Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen and will see of me. 17 I will rescue you from your own people and from the Gentiles. I am sending you to them 18 to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.”- Pray that God would open eyes that are blind to their sin and need for a Saviour.
- Ephesians 2: 12-13 – remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world. 13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near by the blood of Christ. – Mourn with God that they are separate from Christ, excluded from the family of God, without hope and without God in the world. Then ask that in Christ Jesus those who are far away would be brought near by the blood of Christ.
- Hebrews 4:2 – For we also have had the good news proclaimed to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because they did not share the faith of those who obeyed. – Pray that the truth would be united with faith in their hearts.
- Romans 6:23 – 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in[a]Christ Jesus our Lord – Ask God to lead them toward accepting His gift of eternal life in Christ Jesus.
- 2 Peter 3:9 -The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance/ 1 Timothy 2:4 – who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth – Recount back to God that He isn’t willing that any should perish; ask Him to lead them to repentance.
- John 14:6 – Jesus answered, ‘I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me/ 1 John 1:9 – If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. – Acknowledge that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life, and that no one comes to the Father except through Him. Ask that they would confess their sins, claiming God’s promise of forgiveness and cleansing.
- 2 Corinthians 4: 3-4 – And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God – Pray that the gospel would be unveiled to them. Ask that God would defeat Satan, who has blinded their minds to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ.
Hey Jesus, here I am and you know what, I’ve got someone special on my mind and I know they’re kind of special to you too, you probably love them more than I do, and you are the truth, the way, the life, I recognise that no one can come to our Father except through you, and the Father, well he is full of compassion, passionate about all of his children, he doesn’t want them to perish, he cherishes each and every one of them, nothing God would like more than for all his children to walk through the door to heaven, and I recognise this is a battle, a war, the enemy seeks to steal, kill, destroy, his joy complete when he blinds and deceives, so Father I pray you will have your way, reveal the Gospel as the truth, open her mind so she sees the light of your gospel, no longer blinded to the glory of Christ, unite her heart with the truth, Father you promise cleansing forgiveness, convict her of her sin, bring her into your Kingdom, open her eyes to your gift of grace, open her eyes so she sees your face, the face of her loving, forgiving Father, rescue her from the kingdom of darkness, I mourn with you Lord for she is so far from you, she doesn’t see the truth, separate, without hope and that’s a desperate situation, alone, unsaved, without salvation, my heart cries out have mercy Lord, this is a battle and I am grappling with the enemy, I need you to take this from me Lord, defeat Satan and save her from his darkness, lead her to your gift of salvation, bring her an awareness of your Kingdom, a place where there is no mourning, no sadness, where every tear will be wiped away, unveil her mind, lead her to find you, to know your love, to share in our eternal hope in God above.