I am reading the Grace Outpouring (Roy Godwin and Dave Roberts) and it struck me that sometimes we reap what others have sown and likewise where we sow, we may not see the harvest but others will in the future. So where we may get despondent if we don’t see answers to prayer, we shouldn’t we must keep going and the work we are doing now will see a harvest, but maybe not in our time. Likewise when we see breakthroughs it may be because someone, somewhere prayed for that breakthrough years ago or has been praying into the situation now but we are unaware of it. It’s such a wonderful thought that we are all part of this massive network of prayer, stretching through generations, continents and nations, never lose heart for what we sow shall be reaped.
Led me to look up some references to sowing and reaping in the Bible:
- John 4:35 – Don’t you have a saying, “It’s still four months until harvest”? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest.
- 2 Corinthians 6:9 – Remember this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously
- James 3:18 – Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness
- Ecclesiastes 11:4 – Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap
- Galatians 6:9 – Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up
- Psalm 126: 5-6 – Those who sow with tears will reap with songs of joy. Those who go out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with them.
SOW AND REAP
We reap where we did not sow, others will reap what we sow, lift up your eyes, look on the fields that are ripe for harvest, do not watch the wind or look at the clouds, plough the fields that are ripe for the picking and commit all you have to sow the seeds of love, generous with your words, generous with the message of an amazing God, sow generously, reap abundantly, do not grow weary in doing good, would you waste an opportunity to bring others out of the clutch of the enemy? Sow in love and peace and reap justice, a harvest of righteousness, sow with tears and reap with songs of joy, sow in confidence, in a sure and certain hope that the seeds you sow will be watered by God, sow in boldness and with determination for ours is the job to tell all the nations.