I read an interesting message from Lisa Bevere today where she revealed God’s message to her that “far too many Christians wield only pieces and fragments of His Word—no longer lifting God’s Word as a whole” and she equated this to warriors lifting broken swords in battle.
I found that a great illustration of the importance of immersing myself in God’s word and also the danger of quoting snippets of the word out of context. To know the word is surely to know God, to walk with him and to be fully equipped to do his work and fight the spiritual battle against the enemy.
- Hebrews 4:12 -For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
- Colossians 1:28 – He is the one we proclaim, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone fully mature in Christ
- 1 Timothy 6:12 – Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses
- 2 Samuel 7:3 – Nathan replied to the king, ‘Whatever you have in mind, go ahead and do it, for the Lord is with you
- Jeremiah 6:16 – Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
I fight with my hand fused to the sword, I fight with God’s complete word, I learn, I grow, I yearn to know God’s very will.
I am still, I read his word, I learn and as I stand at each and every crossroads I look and ask, I proclaim God’s word over my life, over every choice, I seek and I find.
God fills my mind with wisdom, as I proclaim his name he makes the way clear for me, picking up my sword I am ready to fight, living in joy, actively following the right road, absorbing his every word, I find rest for my soul.