God is amazing in the way he talks to me (do I say that a lot??!). So yesterday was struggling, had been on Facebook and one of my Facebook “friends” had been posting some quite difficult stuff basically she is gay and was posting some anti-Christian pictures/slogans and that resulted in loads of comments from others who supported her stance. I was in a quandary, should I unfriend her, switch off her posts or post an answer… I was really struggling so I prayed and as I was praying about this God just said, “pray for her”. Simple I know but so to the point. Pray for her.
I prayed for her there and then and have resolved to add her to my prayers. Later in the evening I saw she had “liked” my Happy Easter post which contained a link to a poem celebrating the Easter story and God kind of said – “see if you unfriend her she won’t see what you post”. And I thought about that, every time I post something or like something related to my faith it appears on my timeline and people see it so it’s just a small way of sharing my faith and allowing God’s light to shine.
Got me to thinking even more about those who are really persecuted and oppressed and how hard it must be to love the oppressor and the persecutor
- Luke 6: 27-28 – But to you who are listening I say: love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who ill-treat you.
- Matthew 5:44 – But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
- Proverbs 25:21-22 – if your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; if he is thirsty, give him water to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head, and the Lord will reward you.
- Romans 12:14 – Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
- 1 Corinthians 4:12 – We work hard with our own hands. When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it
- Deuteronomy 20:4 – For the Lord your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory
LOVE YOUR ENEMY
You stood up for me, forgave me and now you say to me love your enemies, and yes it’s hard but I try to look at my enemy through the eyes of God, conquer with love, sure it’s easier to love those who love you than to love those who curse and persecute you, it’s a test of conviction revealing an attitude of faith and expectancy that my enemies can never defeat me, let’s face it God goes with me into the fight, the victory is mine so may I be gracious in victory, forgiveness revealing the type of God I serve, forgive as the Lord forgave me, his love never fails, praying for my enemy, praying more than I talk, more than I think, more than I worry, praying for my enemy and it may not change them but it will change me, I grow through prayer, placing my concerns into the hands of a God who cares, drawing close to Jesus and in every situation thinking and saying what would Jesus do, how would he display compassion if he were in this position?